Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Thanksgiving in Korea

November 30, 2014

Thanksgiving was actually really good, I wasn't homesick at all. We had a "Fall Party" for English class, which happened to be on Thursday night, so that worked out well. We introduced them to American traditions, I think they liked it a lot. The sisters even obtained a pumpkin pie through means that can't be discussed over email since it could possibly have been illegal. Just kidding, it just felt that way since they are so hard to come by.

Okay, here's updates on the investigators:

EYH comes to church every week, and he meets with us once a week, but he doesn't feel ready for baptism so we're just waiting on that. Which is fine, I'm happy just being friends with him, I'm confident that he will be baptized eventually.

EM got busy and stopped meeting us, but he said he can start again this week, so we'll see how that goes.

KS is as awesome as ever, but we're just waiting for him to start his senior year of high school so he can try asking his parents about baptism with a chance of success.

We starting teaching a new investigator recently, KS. He is 16, and just showed up at English class two weeks ago. We have been teaching him twice a week, and in the last lesson we had with him he accepted a baptismal date for December 21! There's a good chance it might not work out, since we have to get permission from his parents, but it's awesome he accepted it. He has literally no Christian background, so we have to go really slowly when we teach him. He doesn't even know words that seem simple to members of the church, like "prophet," "apostle," or "holy ghost." And he has hearing aids, so he's hard to understand, which makes it even harder. But that's okay, it's good practice for me :)

Lately I've been trying to focus less on the language and more on teaching and the gospel. And the lesson when we gave a baptismal date to KS, I was able to say almost everything I wanted to, without having to struggle to find the words. The more I realize that my ability to speak doesn't matter, the less frustrated I am, and I'm more satisfied with the lessons I teach.

Want to hear about something disgusting I ate recently? A lady from English class gave us some oysters. Apparently Koreans think that they taste best when you eat them raw, so we tried some raw. It was probably one of the most disgusting things I've ever eaten, worse that raw beef and pig intestine. Yeah, we're only cooking those from now on :)

Ward conference is this upcoming Sunday, and the missionaries [Elder Suter, Sister Johnson & Sister Hill], along with the 4 primary children in our ward, are doing a musical number. It's the first verse of "I am a Child of God," and then all three verses of "Teach me to Walk in the Light." I'm playing the piano, and they had me make a transition between the two songs. Once again, the things I learned in AP Music Theory came in handy. I'm pretty sure I've used my knowledge from that class more than anything from any other class I took in High School.

They only wait to give us letters if we will be going to the mission home sometime soon, I actually got your letter on Thanksgiving, they just forwarded to me by mail. Of course I still want you to write me letters, why would you think I don't? I haven't heard anything about another 5K, hopefully not, it's too cold for that.

I hope you have a great week, I love you!

Elder Hines

No comments:

Post a Comment