Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Amazing Teaching Experience

November 9, 2014

This week has been pretty good, mostly because of one of my investigators, EYH. So when we met with him on Wednesday, he asked us what our biggest problems right now are. Elder Suter said not having very many people to teach, and I said not understanding Korean. He told us he would think about it. On Saturday after English class, he drew out an outline for a flier, and told us he would tell all his friends about English class. He kept telling us that he will be the "Korean missionary." So on Sunday, he typed up the flier after church and made a bunch of copies. At the bottom of the flier, he put "Korean missionary phone number" in English with his number below it. Then he drove us in his car to a bunch of different schools and put up the fliers with us. And every time ​someone passed on the street, he told them about us and gave them a flier. Then he took us out to lunch after that. He kept telling me that he would help me with Korean, and that he is sure I will be fluent in the future. He said by the time I am fluent in Korean, he will be fluent in English, and then we can communicate in both languages. It was so nice of him to not only ask about our problems, but actually follow up and do something about it.  

We only got to teach JJ once this week, but it was an amazing teaching experience. We taught the Restoration, and I have no idea what was different, but I was able to say everything that I wanted to, and for the most part didn't even stumble over the words. I just somehow knew exactly what I needed to say, and was able to say it. It was the best I've ever taught, and I hope that somehow I will be able to continue to teach like that.

I got to give a talk in Sacrament meeting yesterday on charity. It actually turned out pretty well; I think I went for a full 15 minutes, which was really surprising. It was probably just because I was talking so slow though. :)

I know I already told you how lame it is that people were saying that "mandu myul mang" is so delicious, but I thought of a good comparison to help you understand what it would be like. It is basically the Korean equivalent of what Dad used to feed me and Colton for lunch when we were little sometimes--white bread with American cheese in the middle, microwaved on high for 30 seconds, and served with a side of goldfish crackers. If people really said that it is delicious and a missionary staple, they must have had an interesting diet.

Yeah, as far as making pizza and hamburgers, that would be super expensive for all the ingredients. Elder Suter and I are at a major loss as to what to eat. Elder Suter was an office Elder before training me, and so he always got fed by the president, and he said he doesn't remember it being this hard to figure out what to eat before that.

No, we never work with the less-actives. Any who we have tried to meet with have just been really opposed to talking with us. That's just how Korea is though, tons of people go inactive, and then just get annoyed when the missionaries bug them. 

We always take a bus when we go to mission headquarters; it actually isn't as hard as it looks to get there. It would be super expensive to take a boat, buses are fairly cheap. As to the route, we go north from Tongyeong through Masan, and then east to Busan. I don't know how much that helps, but that's as descriptive as I know how to explain it. 

We have a washing machine in our apartment, so we can just do it whenever we need to. And dryers don't exist in Korea, so everything just has to air dry. We email at the church in the clerk's office (is that what it's called? I can't remember the English names for some things anymore).

That's all I got for this week, we're going with the sisters in our area to an island today, I'll send you pictures next week. Hopefully it's pretty cool :)

Love,

Elder Hines


Bridge connecting Tongyeong



No comments:

Post a Comment