Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Chuseok

September 28, 2015

When I first got here, everyone was hard for me to understand, and with old people I couldn't understand anything. But now I can understand most of what younger people say (depending on the topic, of course) and a decent amount of what older people say.  I can understand a lot of what Daeshin Grandma says, but there are still some older people who I can barely understand at all. A lot of it has to do with how Korean is a language that changes really quickly, and so because of that, the older someone is, the harder it is to understand them because they use older-style Korean. It's really interesting, Korean changes way faster than English. Most Koreans can't understand books written in Korean only 100 to 200 years ago.

So we met with that guy at his church, but we weren't able to show him the Restoration video. At his church they have a room with a big TV in it that they use for proselyting, and we were going to use that to show him the video.  But he ended up showing his proselyting video to us first, and it was like two hours long, so we weren't able to even finish that. It was just a guy giving a talk about what was basically the plan of salvation, but missing a lot of stuff, and a couple things were different that is expected in other Christian religions, like the nature of God. So I guess he is trying to convert us, so we'll see how it goes. There weren't really any arguments, we've been trying to avoid that :)  He just kept asking us throughout the video if there was anything we were uncomfortable with. Not quite sure how to answer that, because you can tell that he just wants to argue. We're definitely going to try and keep meeting him though, because each time we met him he has brought someone else with him to help, this time it was another member of his church, a man maybe mid-20s. So this is turning out to be a really good opportunity to introduce the gospel to lots of people, just indirectly.

We didn't do much for Chuseok, but today the branch president's daughter is taking us to a buffet for lunch, and she said it is for Chuseok. She is a super nice lady, like 29 I think, she served a mission in Daejeon, and then moved to the US after that. But she felt like she needed to come back for some reason, so she did, and now she is a huge help to this branch.

For fitness day we could either run a 5K or 10K, and so I did the 5K since I'm a missionary and really out of shape. It almost killed me too, I'm pretty sore today. So in one of the areas in my district there is Lord of the Rings Risk at the church, so we went and played that with the Yeongdo elders, which was probably the highlight of my mission. It was probably the biggest adrenaline rush I've had in over a year. I guess that's what happens when you're deprived of entertainment for so long. I'll mostly like come home and laugh at things like Leave it to Beaver. That'll be embarrassing...

I'm sure other things happened this week, but I can't really remember, and I'm running out of email time. I hope you have a great week!

Love,
Elder Hines

Mission Fitness Day

Spam gift packs for Chuseok

Cool Korean spider

Exchange with Elder Hofheins

No comments:

Post a Comment