Saturday, August 9, 2014

First Day at the MTC

July 23, 2014

Dear Family, 

Today has been probably the craziest day of my life. I had literally a minute to stash my stuff in my room and I went straight to a Korean class. The instructor, Brother Memmott, doesn't speak any English to us, which is probably a good thing but it's really frustrating. He tried to teach all kinds of things, but I can't remember any of it. It made me feel a lot better when we met our zone leaders. They all bore their testimony in Korean, and two of them have only been here three weeks. I guess it helps to have five to six hours of language instruction a day. 

My companion is Elder Porcaro, he is way cool and seems really familiar for some reason.  It's funny because he told me that I look familiar too. He is from Spanish Fork and has been there all his life, so neither of us can figure out how we know each other. I'll send you a picture and maybe you can figure it out. 

We had an activity where we had investigators come and we had to figure out what to say and how to deal with/relate to them. One of them was a man who was born in Italy and moved here when he was 17. He was really fun and had a great sense of humor, despite losing his wife and one of his children. He said something that was really cool. You might not think so since it's not in context, but it went along the lines of, "You know when you’re driving on a bumpy road? You finally get back on the smooth asphalt and you have to turn the radio down, because you didn't realize how bumpy it was until you get off of it." He was relating it to the trials he had experienced and I thought it was pretty profound.

So p-day is on Thursdays here, but we don't get a p-day this week, so I won't be able to email you until next week. I love you so much and I hope you are doing OK.

Love,
Elder Hines

Packed and ready to go!
Family picture at the Provo Temple
Ready or not. . .
A kind Elder who is going to Finland was there to meet us and get Chris where he needed to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment